Building on the deep friendship and enduring partnership between Switzerland and Bhutan, the Society Switzerland-Bhutan (SSB) was founded in 2000 as a Swiss association with a mission to encourage social, charitable, ecological, cultural and other philanthropic projects.
SSB works hand-in-hand with people on the ground in Bhutan, particularly with its local sister organisation Bhutan-Switzerland Society (BSS).
The Society Switzerland Bhutan (SSB) was founded in 2000 with the purpose to deepen and further strengthen the unique bonds of friendship between the people of Bhutan and Switzerland. With its more then 200 members from all over Switzerland the society’s main objectives are:
- To create an active and capable platform for promoting and implementing social, cultural and economical activities between the two countries.
- To facilitate the exchange of knowledge and expertise on various levels and topics among interested individuals, organizations, institutions and other body corporate from both countries.
Over the years a strong partnership has evolved to support these challenging objectives. It is our close cooperation with the Bhutan Switzerland Society, based in Thimphu, which helps us to identify, evaluate, plan, implement and monitor our activities and projects in Bhutan. The development of this partnership will be our strategic focal point for the coming years.
In Switzerland the SSB organizes public events, excursions and discussions that emphasise on cultural and societal exchange and publishes a quarterly newsletter based on actualities.
All of our activities are funded by our more than 200 members whereas larger programmes and projects are financed by private and public donors. SSB is exempted from tax.
The Society’s purpose is to further strengthen the friendship between Switzerland and Bhutan. This purpose shall be served through:
- the Society’s function as a communication and information forum which facilitates the insight into the cultural, spiritual, social, economical and political life of Bhutan and Switzerland;
- the exchange of knowledge and experience,
- as well as the training of professionals;
- the provision of background information and commentaries with respect to the media presentation of the partner countries of this Society;
- the development, promotion and implementation of projects and happenings which support the Society’s purpose;
- the co-operation with other Bhutan Society’s
- and, if appropriate, with other institutions and organisations; in particular she endeavours to establish a sister organisation in Bhutan.
Agreement on Co-operation between Society Switzerland-Bhutan (SSB)
and Bhutan-Switzerland (SBS)
signed in Thimphu on December 2, 2009
Memorandum of Understanding
between Bhutan-Swiss Friendship Association and Druk-Switzerland Thuendrel Tshogpa
signed in Thimphu on November 12, 2001
the Board's general strategic direction and strategic key points 2016-2018, passed on September 18, 2015